Sunday, April 12, 2009

At the moment I am currently sitting in our Chalet less than a kilometre away from Mout. Saint Anne the ski slope. We have spent the last three days skiing which started off very interesting. While I hogged the instructor during the first lesson (I only learnt how to slow down and mastered the act of falling.) everyone else spent the time skiing down the baby/learners slope. I managed to struggle to even get up onto the hill falling down the lift four times in a row. I could not turn and most people couldn't believe how incredibly bad I was. We then had lunch and went back out into the cold the spend the rest of the day skiing down the mountain. I was taken down the family hill by the doctor which I managed to do better falling down than I did skiing. It took me around an hour to finally make my way back down before we were asked if we wanted to go back up and ski back down again. I agreed to attempt the slope once again and still did not manage to ski down successfully. In all I spent most of my first day in the snow and sliding down the slopes of the mountain. Again we were up early the next morning, no wait it was a slow morning because the boys decided they hadn't woken up in time because the girls had not waken them yet, but still keen to get going back to the slopes for another full day of skiing. We first went on a couple of warm up runs before we were taken up the mountain by our new instructor and were skiing back down to the bottom again. I had improved a bit more and I could now turn and I didn't spend most of my time on the ground getting wet from the cold snow. After the lesson we took the lifts up to the top of the mountain before we then skied down to the north side for lunch. When lunch was over we then continued skiing on the north side before we became too tired and took the gondola down to the base. Our busy day then concluded with a quick visit to the giant church in the village and a look at the falls near by, we took multiple pictures and had a great time. Easter, our last day of skiing. Well it started off eventfull with me dropping my ski stick on the way up in the chair lift. I then tried to let one of the controlers know that I had dropped it and that I needed it in order to get back down, ohh but how I was wrong, I had great trouble because he could hardly speak English and I am not strong with French. We soon managed to get each point across and he contacted down at the base to let them know. A translater then helped us understand each other and we soon found out I had dropped it in the section where skiers where not allowed to ski in due to the conditions, so no one was going to be able to retrieve it for me. They also said I was going to have to take the chair lift back to the ground, where I would wait for my stick to be returned. Once I had made my way back down, I discovered he too was not strong with English but we managed and finally my stick was returned (it took about 45 minutes.) Our lessons then began and we made our way back up the mountain and continued skiing on the north side. I enjoyed our lessons because they were relaxed, challenging and funny. I managed to find myself make contact with six different trees in the Enchanted Forest and many people found themselves on the ground. We thanked our instructor and then continued skiing until the end of the day. Our last day was most definately the coldest, but it was lots of fun and we were able to see how much we had all improved. We finished the skiing with many inside jokes, doctor having his shoes misplaced and enjoyed ourselves very much. Tomorrow we will be having a tour of Quebec before driving back home and school again on Tuesday. I hope you all enjoyed your break and had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment