Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The first day I spent the morning by myself because both parents had work, as did their daughter Lindsay, although she had arranged for me to spend the day with her friend Laura who came to St Philip's on Exchange about 5 years ago. Laura took me out for lunch and we did a quick bit of shopping and went for a walk around Cobourg and just talked about her Exchange experience and what she remembered from Alice Springs. Later that night we drove to South Hampton to the Pollard's cottage which is about a 4 and a half drive from Cobourg. We arrived at around 10:30pm and I met their oldest son, Fraser who would also be there for the weekend. The next day I met all of Cameron's friends and they took me to all their cottages and showed me around South Hampton. Bikes are used as transportation because the streets are so small and most things are within walking distance from most people, meaning you see many people on bikes, skateboards and scooters (The one difference between riding here and back home is; in Alice you must wear a helmet, or you are atleast advised to wear a helmet and here you MUST have a light on your bike and they don't really say anything about helmets or advise you to wear one.) There is one main street which doesn't even go for a kilometer, it starts near the lake and ends about 700m inland, which has many different shops, a city hall, a library, information centre and some resturants. At the end of the street is a large flag pole which on top flies an extremely large Canadian Flag. Many people play either Golf or Tennis, even both, they have multiple competitions during the 'Summer' which most of the town competes in, and there are usually people playing everyday. South Hampton also has some of the World's best sunsets occurring regularly and the lake always looks beautiful. I spent most of my days outside, riding around the town, going down to the lake and running/riding from cottage to cottage to try and escape the cold. I met alot of loud, kind and friendly familys who all asked me many questions, asked me to say things and teased me about my accent, but it didn't matter because it was only because they were all so excited to have an Australian in South Hampton. They were all so welcoming and were happy to show me around, tell me things about the town, when they usually spent time there and all the things they usually got up to. I had such an amazing time, I didn't want to go back to school because my time there had gone by so fast. The girls were so nice and we are already hoping to meet up in Toronto again sometimme soon. Although things did not work out the way it had been planned, I am very greatful for my experience because it was a real test of my ability to be able to cope by myself in a difficult situation, I met people out of school meaning I probably would not have met the Pollard family, the girls or anyone in South Hampton. And now if I am ever in the same situation I now have a few more phone numbers I am able to call other than Dr Hodges!

No comments:

Post a Comment